If you’re curious about what to eat on low carb, or looking for some low carb menu planning help, this post is for you. Below you’ll find a week long menu (our actual menu last week) along with links to the recipes!
Day to day, Gary and I try to remain mindful of what we’re eating, eating as many home cooked meals made with real, whole foods as possible. Still, there are seasons when we find ourselves slipping into a too comfortable pattern of eating whatever is easy, allowing too many sweet snacks and getting off course. That’s when we usually do something crazy by completely changing our way of eating for a few weeks to a month at a time. After the Christmas season, and all the delicious but overly rich foods that come with it, we did a month of Paleo. Last year, after emerging from the daze of new parenthood and a season that had been filled with convenience foods, we did a month of modified low carb.
Now, we’re at it again. Gary and I have challenged ourselves to a month of low carb meals. We’ve done low carb before, and one of the things we quickly realize when doing low carb is that it takes a lot of meal planning and cooking. There aren’t many low carb ready-made meals available at the store, and those that are available are usually over-processed and full of ingredients I’d rather avoid. No matter what way of eating we’re doing, I like to make as many real food recipes as possible. So, at the beginning of each week, I set out to create a weekly menu, including breakfast ideas, lunch ideas, snacks, and a dinner menu. Below is the menu we followed during week one of our low carb challenge.
7 Day Low Carb Meal Plan:
- Baked French Eggs
- Broccoli, Ham, Mozzarella Egg Bake (See my review here.)
- One Minute Flax Muffins in a Mug (I like to use golden flax, and I use a packet of Truvia as the stevia the recipe calls for.)
- Salads made with iceberg lettuce, sliced rotisserie chicken, cheese and low carb dressing of choice. (I love Greek or creamy Ceaser) You can also add a boiled egg and bacon crumbles.
- Spinach Mushroom and Feta Crustless Quiche
- Dinner leftovers
- Day One: Steak, Lemon Parmesan Asaparagus and Roasted Broccoli with Garlic (Don’t know how to cook steak? There are plenty of easy recipes online like this one)
- Day Two: Barefoot Contessa’s Perfect Roast Chicken(sub with rotisserie if in a hurry) with Roasted Turnips with Parmesan and mushrooms (we just threw the mushrooms in with the turnips).
- Day Three: Cauliflower Fried Rice (See my review here) and Sweet Sesame Snapped Green Beans
- Day Four: Broccoli Slaw with Ground Turkey (recipe coming soon!) Until then, sub with this similar recipe.
- Day Five: Taco Salad: Prepare taco meat (I chose to use ground turkey instead of beef) as usual, serve over a bowl of lettuce with cheddar, diced tomatoes (in moderation), sour cream and hot sauce.
- Day Six: Hamburgers with Revolution Rolls and Low Carb Curried Coleslaw
- Day Seven:Baked Flounder With Fresh Lemon Pepper and Creamed Spinach
What’s on your menu this week?
Leave a Reply