A Little Bit About Me:
I’m Rachael, a 30 something former elementary school teacher turned stay at home mom. I love saving money, sharing simple and thrifty recipes, and encouraging tips.
I was super lucky to be born 14 minutes after my best friend.
30+ years later and she’s still my best friend, second only to my amazing husband.
Yep, I was blessed to marry someone who quickly became my new best friend. You can check out the story of how we met here.
I live in beautiful, and hot, sunny Florida, which, despite humidity and the possibility of hurricanes, I absolutely love.
- Christ, who has forever changed my life and transformed my heart.
- The color blue (especially turquoise/teal shades)
- Teaching (5 years teaching kindergarten with one wild year of 4th grade thrown in the mix)
- Animals, especially these two:Over the years I’ve had a host of fish, gerbils, hamsters, dogs, a cat, and at one point 6 guinea pigs (at one time! So not intentional).
- Reading. I would take a good book over a good movie any day. I’m currently enjoying audio books. I never used to like hearing someone else narrate a book, but if I can read a book while doing the dishes or sweeping the floor, sign me up!
- Some of my favorite books include: The Screwtape Letters, The Hunger Games Series, The Hiding Place, A Wrinkle in Time, Mere Christianity and the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis which includes Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; and That Hideous Strength
- Going on walks/jogs outside. I especially love walking in shady areas with lots of trees.
- The Blue Ridge Mountains, where my grandparents have a home. I love to visit during the summer.
- Cooking. Simple, affordable and healthy recipes are my favorite.
- Saving money. I loved rummaging through flea markets and garage sales when I was a kid. I still do! Now, I also love saving money through using coupons, shopping sales, cooking from scratch when time allows and doing money saving DIY projects.
- Listening to teachings by great pastors. Besides the teaching team at my own church, I love streaming teachings by Matt Chandler, Tim Keller, David Pawson, and Joyce Meyer among others.
- Learning and researching new things (though I try not to go overboard!).
- And of course family, more than I can say. (Gary, G, and Baby H)
Why I started My Pennywise Life:
In April 2015 I left my career as an elementary school teacher (a job I loved), to become a stay at home mom (a job I love even more). I wanted to start a blog that would focus on cheap, healthy and simple recipes, DIY craft ideas and my adventures as a new SAHM.
So, I launched www.promisinglypennywise.com. I learned a lot as I went along. My focus for my blog became more refined as I realized what I really had a passion for blogging about. (Recipes and money saving tips, yes! DIY and crafts? Not so much.)
In March of 2017, I decided to part with the name Promisingly Pennywise in favor of a more succinct name that would be easier for my followers to remember. Though the name has changed, the vision behind the blog is still the same: To share thrifty and simple recipes and tips for everyday life.
Questions or Comments?
I’d love to hear from you! Connect with me on social media below, or shoot me an email at Rachael@promisinglypennywise.com
Connect with me: