Black Bean and Sweet Potato Egg Muffins: A healthy and easy make-ahead breakfast recipe. Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Low-Calorie
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Low-Calorie and Still Delicious?
Cheese is a staple in most egg muffins, including my go-to easy egg muffin recipe. I’m not really crazy about eggs unless they have lots of butter and cheese thrown in. So, when I set out to develop a delicious dairy-free egg muffin, I wondered if it could really be done.
Once I tried one of these egg muffins, they quickly became my new go-to breakfast recipe. So easy, and full of healthy, low-cost ingredients. These black bean and sweet potato egg muffins are a winner!
Simple, Thrifty Ingredients
It says it right at the top of the page near my logo: I love simple and thrifty recipes. When considering all of the ingredients to use for dairy-free egg muffins, I chose to keep the ingredient list simple. These black bean and sweet potato egg muffins have just a few low-cost ingredients, but they’re packed full of flavor!
A Healthy Make-Ahead Option
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it’s a healthy make-ahead option. Cook a batch at the beginning of the week and pop them in the fridge or freezer for a quick, ready-to-go breakfast, lunch or snack!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Egg Muffins
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 10 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan.
- Add sweet potatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add all ingredients, except eggs, to the pan and stir to combine, heating until spices are fragrant.
- Remove from heat and distribute mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Beat eggs and pour over mixture, distributing evenly.
- Bake until eggs are set, about 20 minutes.