I love how easy, and inexpensive, heart garlands are to make. All you need is an old magazine or a few pieces of card stock, scissors, a ruler, pen or pencil, string, and a hole puncher (though scissors will work in a pinch!).
I also love that this craft can be easily customized. For the garland shown in the image above, I used bright patterned card stock that matched the colors in Baby G’s nursery. For today’s craft, I’ll be using red, white and blue, making this a perfect patriotic craft.
DIY Red, White and Blue Heart Garland
- a magazine or red, white and blue cardstock
- pen or pencil
- hole puncher (optional)
View the step by step video example below, or scroll down to see text instructions.
- If using a magazine, tear out a page that is mostly white, a page that is mostly red and a page that is mostly blue.
- Lay the ruler along the edge of the long side of the paper and trace strips the size of the ruler. (You will need one red strip, one blue strip and one white strip for each heart.)
- Lay a red, white and blue strip of paper together, with the white in the center. The red and blue sides of the paper on the outside should be facing outward.
- Pull the white strip in the center up so that it extends 2 inches above the red and blue papers.
- Staple all three together at the top of the red and blue strips.
- Fold the red and blue strip up, creating a crease just below the staple.
- Pull the bottom of the blue strip to the midpoint of the white strip and pinch. Repeat with the red strip so that both the blue and red strips are gaping out.
- Cut off some of the excess paper below where you are pinching and staple the strips together where you are pinching.
- Pinch the white strip in the middle and slide your fingers up until you are pinching all three strips to form into a heart shape.
- Punch a hole in the top of the white strip, where it extends above the heart.
- Thread onto the string.
Brandi @ penguinsinpink.com
Love this garland! It so cute. Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned to the Bloggers Brags Broad.