With pumpkin, sausage, kale, mushrooms and sage, this Pumpkin, Sausage and Kale Soup is an irresistible fall recipe! A great alternative to sweet pumpkin soups, this soup is savory, hearty and flavorful.
There’s something so comforting about a warm bowl of pumpkin soup on a cold fall day. Even though we rarely see cold autumn days here in Florida, I’ve never let that stop me from embracing all things fall related as soon as September hits (as you can see by my abundance of fall themed posts). Though it may not be cold outside, this flavorful fall soup is one of my new favorite ways to get into the fall spirit!
Sage sausage, along with fresh thyme and mushrooms, bring a hint of Thanksgiving flavors to the soup. It’s also full of protein and fiber, thanks to the pumpkin, kale and sausage. Just one bowl of this soup makes a hearty meal, but, with a soup this delicious, it may be hard to resist going back for more. And with just 9 ingredients and simple prep, this one pot recipe is great for a busy week night!
- 12oz. Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 TBS garlic, minced
- 1 TBS fresh thyme leaves
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 15 oz. can of pumpkin
- 1 small bunch of kale, de-stemmed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- In medium pot, brown sausage, then drain.
- Return sausage to pot and add onions, garlic, mushrooms and sage.
- Cook until juices from veggies are almost evaporated, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add kale (torn to be about the size of spinach leaves) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add pumpkin and broth, mixing together well.
- Bring to boil, then simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add milk, salt and pepper (to taste), and cook for 10 additional minutes.
I owe a huge thank you to my husband, who happens to be an incredible home chef. I described the flavors and ingredients I had in mind for this soup and he put it together, along with several insightful ideas of his own!
What’s your favorite fall recipe?