Bite Sized Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket And More Brunch Ideas: Made with sausage, honey and walnuts, these are not your typical pigs in a blanket. Great for potlucks, a special breakfast, or brunch.
When I discovered I’d developed gluten intolerance after G was born, this was one of the recipes I knew I’d miss. After all, I’ve never seen gluten free crescent rolls in the store. So, I was thrilled when I discovered recipes for gluten free crescent rolls online! After viewing several, I decided to try this recipe. While it was a bit time consuming, and required a two hour rest in the refrigerator before using, it worked great with this pigs in a blanket recipe! That said, if you can have gluten, using regular crescent rolls from a can is the way to go if you’re looking to save time.
You can find the recipe for non-gluten free Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket below. If you’re in need of a gluten free version, simply swap out the crescent rolls for these homemade gluten free crescent rolls. The cooking time will remain about the same either way!
- 1 Tube Crescent Rolls
- 12 Precooked Turkey Sausage Links (Or precooked pork sausage links)
- ½ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Chopped Nuts (I usually use walnuts)
- 3 TBS Agave Nectar, Honey or Maple Syrup
- 3 TBS Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine the butter, nuts, agave nectar and brown sugar in an 11x7 baking dish.
- Cut sausage links in half.
- Unroll crescent rolls and cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 smaller triangles (I use a pizza cutter).
- Place halved sausage links on the long end of each crescent roll segment and roll tightly.
- Arrange seam side down in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
And of course, with a holiday right around the corner, I couldn’t leave out the brunch idea recipes that I shared in the original post!
On the Healthy Side:
- Crustless Feta Quiche (Gluten Free): I love this recipe as is! So much flavor in every bite!
- French Toast Casserole With Banana and Flax: Prep the night before and pop it into the oven in the morning for a sweet, healthy breakfast or brunch! Substitute gluten free bread for a gluten free alternative.
- Egg Muffin Mini Omelets (Gluten Free): I love that this recipe is very forgiving and can be modified in many ways.
Not So Healthy (But So Delicious):
- Baked French Toast: Nothing light about this version, but so so good!
- Strawberry Banana Bread: When making this recipe, I used fresh strawberries that I diced instead of frozen. Whether you use fresh or frozen, I would recommend dicing the strawberries to avoid big soft sports in this already moist bread recipe. I also increased the cooking time, since my bread was still runny in the middle. This is a delicious alternative to traditional banana bread recipes.
- Easy Bacon and Cheddar Quiche (Gluten Free): One of the easiest quiche recipes I have ever made! To cut down on prep, I use a 3oz bag of bacon bits (the kind made with real bacon). This can also be lightened up by using turkey bacon and light cream or milk.
- Sausage Gravy: Instead of tearing the sausage, as the recipe states, I just toss it all into the skillet and use a spatula to break it apart as it cooks. This can be transferred to a crock-pot set on its lowest setting to keep warm for brunch, though I would recommend transferring it before it’s fully thickened. And of course, sausage gravy needs biscuits! You can use store bought frozen biscuits to cut down on the prep time, or the recipe below.
- 7-Up Biscuits: I first saw this recipe circulating on Facebook. I was a bit skeptical that they were as amazing as the comments said, but my husband and I decided to try them. They are dangerously good! In fact, they’re so good that I rarely make them because it’s hard to eat only one! You can sub diet 7-Up or even soda water for the 7-up to cut calories. We doubled the recipe and baked at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
- Cinnamon Roll & Bacon Waffle Sticks: This recipe is just waiting for a special occasion. Super easy to make, with just three ingredients, these combine bacon and cinnamon rolls in one delicious breakfast treat!