The Best Gluten-Free Homemade Chili: A flavorful, easy, one pot meal.
Not all chili is created equal. Not all chili is gluten-free and delicious. My granny’s chili was one of my favorite meals growing up- especially during the few rare moments of cold weather we happened to get here in Florida. When I developed gluten intolerance after G was born, I knew I’d have to create a flour free version.
It didn’t take much to alter the recipe, and the first gluten-free version I made was pretty good. Then, Gary decided to add just a few additional spices and the end result was amazing. A comforting, filling bowl of delicious, gluten-free chili.
Though we may not see truly cold weather here until January, a fellow blogger pointed out that chili is the perfect one pot, easy dinner for Halloween night. I don’t know what Halloween is like in your neighborhood, but here it gets kind of crazy. Last year we had over 500 trick-or-treaters stop by our house!
This year, I plan to get a pot of chili simmering on the stove long before the trick-or-treaters arrive. Then, Gary, G and I can grab a bowl whenever we get a chance. And just maybe we’ll be lucky and get a cold snap for the big day!
The Best Gluten-Free Homemade Chili
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced (about 1 TBS)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- One 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water plus 2 additional TBS
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 2 cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Cheddar cheese for serving optional
- Chopped onion for serving optional
- Place beef, onion and garlic in a large pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown beef and drain excess fat.
- Return beef to pot and stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt, sugar, onion, green pepper, tomato sauce, water and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer, 45 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir 2 TBS water and cornstarch until smooth.
- Add beans and cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir.
- Cover and simmer 30 additional minutes.
Looking for more chili recipes?
Don’t miss the Blogger’s Best Chili Cook-n-Share happening now! Click here for a list of over 15 delicious chili recipes!