Orange Rosemary Glazed Winter Vegetables: A healthy, gluten-free, low sugar, flavorful side dish perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall meal.
I couldn’t resist sharing Thanksgiving recipes (like my super easy Pecan Pineapple Cranberry Sauce) back in October. Now that it’s November, I’m pinning holiday recipes and dreaming about Thanksgiving day. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite healthy fall side dishes, perfect for any Thanksgiving menu: Orange Rosemary Glazed Winter Vegetables.
A Healthy Twist on a Classic Thanksgiving Side
With sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots drizzled with a sweet orange, cinnamon and rosemary glaze, this healthy dish is bursting with flavor! Not a fan of carrots? Leave them out or sub with parsnips. This dish easily yields to substitutions. You could even make it with sweet potatoes alone.
I love sweet potatoes in pretty much any form. Most of the time, they make their way to the Thanksgiving table laden with marshmallows or brown sugar.
As much as I enjoy the full sugar versions, I love having a healthier, no sugar added, dish to enjoy. (That way there’s more calories to spare for desserts like my gluten-free pumpkin maple cheesecake!)
A cinnamon and rosemary infused orange juice reduction glaze adds the perfect amount of sweetness. You won’t miss the sugar or marshmallows one bit! This dish is too good to be reserved for Thanksgiving day alone. Pin it and try it with your next weeknight meal as a flavorful fall side dish!
Orange Rosemary Glazed Winter Vegetables
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and seeded
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled
- 5 carrots peeled
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>3 TBS oil olive oil, <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span class="hiddenSpellError" pre="" data-mce-bogus="1">grapeseed</span></span> oil, or oil of choice</span>
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 TBS butter or coconut oil for vegan version
- 1 2 inch sprig rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span><span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span class="hiddenSpellError" pre="" data-mce-bogus="1">Preheat</span></span> oven to 425 degrees.</span>
- Cut butternut squash, sweet potato and carrots into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss with oil, salt and pepper and spread in a single layer on two baking sheets.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until tender, turning once.
- Combine orange juice, cinnamon stick, rosemary and butter in a small sauce pan and heat until reduced to 1/4 cup liquid.
- Remove cinnamon stick and rosemary from orange juice reduction.
- Pour glaze over cooked vegetables and serve.